Monday, March 17, 2014

When Magnitude of Magnum was felt



I was given a privilege to attend the launch of Magnum Ice cream in Bangalore. This was my very first time that I was about to eat this ice cream. It was launched by Chef Kunal Kapur, he has been the judge in Master Chef seasons and has recently launch his book named 'A Chef in every home'. The entire launch session was an interactive session.



The essence of Magnum was explained by the host, he had tasted these delicacies abroad as a kid but he had waited for 32 years for it to launch in India, to have the ice cream here. He told us that in the US when someone tells “let’s get some ice cream” it refers to the magnum. This is the ice cream that they all loved to enrich their taste bugs when they want an ice cream. It was made by pure Belgium chocolate. Now my taste bugs were tingling to have the ice cream.

Chef asked us (the audience) to interact by asking a few questions. One of the question was the history  of chocolates. Chocolates was initially found in South Africa and was had as a drink by the mass in 1800’s. This was taken by Spanish to their country which later spread to all the places around the world. The other question was our liking towards the chocolate. Chef Kunal told his story, as a child he was brought up in a joint family where his grandfather told that whose so ever gets A grade in their school, he/she gets a chocolate. Chef Kunal never got as he never good an A grade in his school life. A dear blogger Rumana's story was the best as she always took “chocolate injection” which meant that whenever she visited the doctor for check up, she was supposed to be given chocolates. She even admits to take chocolates as bribes also. This is what all of us do but she was brave enough to tell it. I remember that my brother used to buy a lot of chocolates and store it in his cupboard, whenever I could, I would take a few chocolates and eat without his knowledge. He never used to get angry but he would just get more chocolates and I loved it.

After that we were given three sample of chocolates. Chef Kunal asked us to try one by one by rubbing the same on over palette and get the difference between them.


·         The first sample was light brown, I tasted it and it was sweet. This contained more of chocolate butter which reduces the bitter taste of cocoa and as I rubbed this sample, it rubbed off relatively slowly.


·         The second sample was dark brown, I tasted it and it tasted bitter. This contained more of cocoa due to which the taste was there. This sample when rubbed against the palette disappeared ever soon.


·         The third sample was dark brown but still had a relative lighter shade than the second sample, I tasted it and it taste was bitter and sweet. This contained dark chocolate as the outer layer and contained white chocolate inside. This sample took the longest time to rub off. Chef Kunal told that white chocolate is not considered as a chocolate in a lot place as it does not contain cocoa.


Now we were given Magnum Classic. This was the launch that we were waiting for. After a count, all of us indulged our self in the ice cream. I understood why the ice cream is known as “Adult Pleasure”. The first bite, we hear a crisp crack, the taste was unexplainable and after the bite a small pleasure which sounds like ‘Hmmm’ was let out by the majority. Chef Kunal was trying to interact with us for another experiment but all of us were so involved in ice cream that we hardly interacted back. Now I had tasted the pleasure of a Magnum.


We all had the Magnum Classic and now a task was given by Chef Kunal. We were divided in a groups and he asked us to decorate a Magnum with a few ingredients and make a Magnum Sundae. This was the task in hand. We were given the Magnum Chocolate Truffle and Magnum Almond. Our team use one Magnum Chocolate Truffle for decorating the Magnum and one of Chocolate Truffle and Almond for the Sundae. Chef Kunal was impressed by all groups efforts.



I took out a Magnum Almond after the task and got lost with it. The taste was mesmerizing  It actually gave me pleasure, my whole body moved with the first bite. I loved every bite of it.


The last but not the least I had my Magnum Chocolate Truffle. This was the ice cream that I would die for, the taste was so wonderful that I am actually drooling all over my keyboard as I write about it.
My suggestion to all of you who is reading, please stop drooling and go get yourself a Magnum ice cream and indulge in the adult pleasure. Note this ice cream is for adults and kids can have it only with the permission and guidance of an adult ;)


I thank food blogger association of India for allowing me to a part of this launch.
Do connect to Magnum on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment